Dental implants are the newest and most effective way of replacing missing teeth. However they have been in use for long enough for the dental profession to strongly recommend these as a safe and reliable way of replacing teeth and have an extremely long lifespan.
Dental implants are a great new way of replacing one or more missing teeth. They are strong, long lasting, and look and feel completely natural.
The implants themselves are tiny titanium metal tubes which are gently placed in place of the missing tooth/teeth. Over time, your jawbone bonds with the tubes, forming in effect a false tooth root.
Even patients who have none of their own teeth can have fixed bridgework to replace all of the missing teeth if they have sufficient bone to work with.
The implants then provide a stable base for either a single missing tooth or a bridge replacing a number of teeth. They can also hold dentures firmly in place, making eating and speaking much easier.
Dental implants in North London are preferred to other methods of replacing missing teeth by many people, and for a number of different reasons.
The main reason for their popularity is that they are long lasting and realistic – many patients say their implant feels so natural they often forget it is no longer a real tooth!
If you would like implants, the first step is for us to carry out an in-depth assessment of your mouth and the surrounding bone with our in-house implantologist. To have implants fitted, you need to have enough bone to support the titanium post, and your gums need to be healthy to avoid risk of infection. In some cases, we will recommend periodontal care to improve the health of your gums, or we may need to carry out treatment to increase or replace the amount of bone in the implant area.
This will all form part of an overall treatment, which will show you exactly what is needed from start to finish, together with the cost. We’ll carefully explain to you everything that is involved, how long it will take, what can be expected and give you plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
Losing a tooth can be devastating. You can feel self-conscious and suffer a lack of self-esteem. Did you know that your tooth could be replaced quickly and easily with a dental implant?
A dental implant is a small titanium screw that integrates perfectly into your gum tissue, just where the root of your tooth would sit. Here’s how it works:
- The screw will be surgically placed directly into your jaw by your dentist. Its shape and material are optimal for close contact and ultimately fusion with bone, providing maximum stability later on.
- Depending on the condition of your mouth and jawbone, the implant ‘abutment’ (the crown or bridge that fits onto the screw) may be added immediately after the screw is inserted, or sometimes it may be added at a later date. It will blend in perfectly with your natural teeth in colour and shape.
- Either way, there will be some healing time. The screw will slowly mesh with the bone, becoming a natural component of your jaw.
Your implant will look and feel exactly like a normal tooth: no one will ever know, and even you might forget! You will still be able to bite and chew normally, and the bone in your jaw will remain intact over time.
- A beautiful, natural smile that is all your own.
- The reassuring knowledge that your implant will last you a lifetime if properly cared for.
- Full function restored, which means freedom for you.
- Bone density will be maintained and so will the integral structure of your face.
If you have lost multiple teeth, you may be wearing a denture or partial denture. This can be a real burden, causing embarrassment, discomfort and generally having a real negative impact on your quality of life. Did you know you don’t have to eat soft foods or wear dentures for the rest of your life? Implants are a viable and clinically proven alternative to missing teeth.
- Multiple teeth can be replaced with just a single implant. The implant screw can support a bridge of up to four teeth in a row, each stable and sturdy and guaranteed for life with good hygiene and maintenance.
- Depending on the volume of jawbone, a dental implant and abutments can be placed on the same day or over a period of months. The implants will look and feel exactly like your natural teeth.
- After a period of healing, your implants will be fully integrated and will look, feel and function just like natural teeth!
- If missing teeth are not replaced with implants the jawbone will recede, giving your face a sunken appearance. Implants give you a youthful boost.
- You can bite or chew a variety of foods.
- You can live free of worry and concern about your teeth.
For those advanced cases where there are no teeth that are able to be saved, we offer an exceptional same-day service called ‘teeth in a day’.
Following a consultation with our implant team and the use of state-of-the-art technologies such as CT Scanners to plan the location of your implants, our team will carefully arrange your treatment day so that your implants will be placed in the morning and our dental implant technicians will be with us on-site to create your new teeth (supported by your new dentures) ready to fit on the very same day!
Some months after your implants have been placed we will upgrade the implant-supported teeth for their final replacements once the gums and soft tissues have fully healed and reshaped, we do this to provide the optimal fit and function of your new teeth.
We also offer sedation options for nervous patients. Dentistry doesn’t have to be frightening! With modern sedatives, many patients will hardly know they’ve been in surgery.
To view before and after case studies, please click here.